Monday, August 23, 2010

Auburn Angels

Growing up I had this Mary Engelbreit picture framed in my room with the quote, "Ah, how good it feels. The hand of an old friend!" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. And many times throughout the years I remember staring at it, curious as to what the quote really meant, and of course during those years in elementary school, wondered how someone got famous using a sentence fragment. But because I absolutely loved Mary Engelbreit I never took it down, and actually packed it away when my parents moved. Reflecting on this weekend, that quote popped back into my mind. I took Danny to Huntsville to meet some of my Pi Beta Phi pledge sisters from Auburn while we were all gathered to celebrate at our friend Hayley's wedding.
dancing Friday night at Mickey's

During my last year of college I took the status of undergrad alum because after returning from my semester in Italy I was busy catching up and working on my senior thesis design project. Because of the undergrad alum, I missed out on many of the '02 pledge class last college memories and regretfully lost touch with many girls I considered great friends at the time. My years at Auburn were packed with so many fun times...and seeing everyone this weekend made all those memories come to life! On the drive back to Atlanta Sunday, I enjoyed narrating countless stories to Danny about all the fun we Pi Phi "Angels" used to get into.
Hayley and Michael's wedding was absolutely beautiful! As president of our sorority, Hayley has always been organized and I knew that her wedding would be a product of her fine planning. One of my favorite touches was the milk "shots" and cookie cake served at the end of the night. Some of the groomsmen surprised the bride & groom with a tandem bicycle presented during the reception. And the couple were such good sports they rode it out (until the stairs) when making their grand exit to the limo!
We were blessed to have our friends Ben & Ashley (sorority sister and one of my "italy girls") graciously open their lovely home to us for the weekend. They have renovated a house in Huntsville and I was really inspired seeing the finished product. Danny made best friends with their two adorable maltipoos, and I'm crossing my fingers he misses them enough to get one for our family. Two other college friends, Aubrie and Joe, stayed at The Still's as well. They were just married last month, and it was really nice to catch up with them and hear all about their newlywed life in Asheville. After re-connecting with so many great people this weekend and hearing about the exciting new stages in their lives (engagements, jobs, babies, etc), I would really like to try and better keep up with the friendships that were started so long ago!

Danny, Sophie & Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment