After this past weekend's Linenger saga, also known as Danny vs. The Glass, I fully intend to pass on the interest in shoes as part of our lineage. All jokes aside, and to satisfy those of you who prefer to be practical, I realize that even one pair of shoes would have saved us hours of our cherished weekend. But my rationalization is that IF someone LOVES shoes like I do, they will always be excited to wear them.
This weekend was one of those very few weekends where we had absolutely nothing on our agenda! And with the crazy travel schedule we've been keeping up, we were really excited about it. Saturday we slept in, went to the gym and Costco, both to prepare ourselves for the rest of the day which would be spent watching college football! While I was preparing some tv snacks, Danny, being the great hubby that he is, ran out to take out the trash. Pretty soon I hear him calling from outside the door..."Jessica...." which is a little weird to hear my entire name, rather than just "Jess" from him. I open the door; he's holding his foot and asking for a wet towel. It was clear that he had stepped on glass by the dumpster. Then I realized he was barefoot, and a kind of mean spirited "serves you right for not wearing shoes through the parking lot to the dumpster" thought ran through my head. But that quickly changed. I felt so bad for Danny for the rest of the weekend. It was really painful for him. I tried for HOURS, literally hours, to get this glass out of his foot. Every time I thought it a lost cause, I'd spot the chunk of glass and keep on digging. Football seemed to be a good distraction for Danny, by the end of the night I had a mag-light, tweezers, a broken sewing needle, and one of our wedding present steak knives, trying my best to preform this little surgery.
The next day after church, we stopped in at an urgent care clinic and there were no seats left in the waiting room with a line out the door, so we then went to Walgreens clinic, where we were told they'd be able to take care of him, and also administer the tetanus shot he needed. Well, after three hours of waiting we saw the nurse. She said she didn't have the tools to get the glass out of his foot, but he did get his shot. And we got a long lecture about the disgusting bacterial infections, primarily a result of bird feces, that you can pick up on your feet when you're not wearing shoes. (Hah, you should have seen the shock on her face when I told her about me getting out the steak knife the night before.)
We realized it was going to be very costly, financial and time-wise, to take Danny to the ER, so he called up his mom, who is a nurse, and proposed a "dinner-in exchange for-surgery" plan. After enjoying a yummy new baked ziti recipe, we all sprung into action! His mom opened back up the puncture wound and starting digging, his dad held the light, and I ran around the house gathering gag-rags and anything else I could think of to help our poor patient. Just as she was about to give up (and Danny was about to pass out from pain), she got the idea of using an x-acto knife! I ran to my craft closet and fished out of my design school tackle box a fresh package of blades. Within minutes the glass, which proved to be fairly sizable, popped out, and everyone let out a huge sigh of relief!
No comments:
Post a Comment